Thursday, January 22, 2009

34 weeks!!!

What a day. What a WEEK! Todd and I had 2 showers over the weekend; one held by my Mother in Law and the other by my Mother, Aunt Debbie, Grama, and Sisters Amanda and Barb. The outpouring of love and kindness shown by both sides of the family was just amazing and Todd and I were quite overwhelmed. We got so many wonderful things and are really giddy imagining Baby Benzin in some of the outfits and being new parents!

On another exciting note, our nursery furniture was delivered yesterday and it is just GORGEOUS! Todd and I stood in the doorway looking into the room and the feeling is surreal. We are about to start such an amazing journey with the best of each of us wrapped up in this little being. In just 6 weeks (hopefully less) we will be holding this little one and our lives will truly begin. Life will never be the same, and we will wonder what our lives were like before Baby Benzin arrived.

Our wonderful friends the Garvey's live downstairs (for now, sniff sniff) and their 2 1/2 year old daughter Maeve has been deemed the Baby Whisperer. In June, 2008 I went downstairs and Maeve, out of nowhere, lifted up my shirt and poked my belly. The next day I found out I was pregnant. Today Lisa, her Momma, asked Maeve what was growing in my belly and she replied, "Girl Baby." I asked what I should name her and she again replied, "Girl Baby." Ok. Girl Baby Benzin it is.

Also, I had my bi-weekly visit today and I was informed that another sonogram has to be done. My Dr. felt my belly and said, "Oh Michele, this is going to be a big baby." So a sonogram will be done in 4 weeks (if I last that long) and if the baby is measuring over 9 pounds, the Dr. will allow me to labor on my own for 4 hours and if there is no dilatation or progress, a C-Section will be done. However, at 32 weeks Baby Benzin was 3 pounds, 14 ounces (approximately) and was considered "average" for its size and age. Assuming babies gain 1/2 pound a week at this point, that would put Baby Benzin at around 4 pounds, 14 ounces as of today. Now if you place a 5 pound anything in a little bag, it will appear MUCH bigger than say if you placed same said 5 pound anything in a duffel bag. He has been telling me I am measuring ahead since the beginning. I go to the sonogram and they have always told me the same thing: "Baby is right on time and measuring normal." Yeah, no shit. On that note...

Here is what is happening with Baby Benzin this week:

Baby Benzin now weighs about 4 3/4 pounds (like your average cantaloupe) and is almost 18 inches long. Fat layers — which will help regulate body temperature once born — are filling baby out, making baby rounder. The skin is also smoother than ever. The central nervous system is maturing and the lungs are continuing to mature as well. If you've been nervous about preterm labor, you'll be happy to know that babies born between 34 and 37 weeks who have no other health problems generally do fine. They may need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, they usually do as well as full-term babies.

1 Comments:

Blogger M. said...

I'm so glad your showers went well! I haven't tested Maeve's skills... although Lisa did tell her right off the bat that I had two babies in my belly. To which she sweetly smiled and said, "Hi babies" to my belly. Very endearing that little can be :)

Anyway, I hope your little own makes her entrance into the world on her own terms! I've got my fingers crossed.

Friday, January 23, 2009 10:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home